An Accounting Assistant provides administrative and bookkeeping support for an accounting or finance team.
Their duties include sending and paying invoices, chasing late payments and reconciling company accounts. Some Accounts Assistants are responsible for a wide range of accounting tasks, whereas those who work for larger firms may focus specifically on one area, such as payroll or credit control.
Accounting Assistant day-to-day activities include:
- Taking care of administrative tasks, such as correspondence, filing and printing;
- Scheduling client appointments and managing important departmental deadlines;
- Maintaining accurate and detailed customer records and creating new customer accounts;
- Building a good rapport with clients and providing an accounting team with relevant information;
- Completing daily and monthly bank reconciliations;
- Collecting monthly direct debits and making payments;
- Preparing and entering journals into the system;
- Supporting the preparation of management accounts and month-end duties.
The average salary for an Administrative Assistant is £18,800/22,000 per year, dependent upon experience, location and company.