Compliance Officers help organizations manage risks and avoid lawsuits by ensuring business operations are performed in compliance with state and federal laws.
Compliance Officers are tasked with everything from developing company policies, creating metrics to help track compliance and performing compliance audits. They must also continue studying state and federal laws related to their industry and ensure that the company conducts business according to new regulations that arise.
Compliance Officers are typically required to hold a bachelor’s degree in Law, Business Administration, or Finance. Employers may also require that they have a certificate in compliance or ethics. Above all, Compliance Officers are known for their attention to detail, their analytical thinking skills, and their ability to interpret complex policies and regulatory documents. These individuals must also possess excellent communication and collaboration skills.
Responsibilities for Compliance Officer
- Mastermind compliance policies and protocols on behalf of the organization
- Develop and implement a compliance program to ensure the organization operates in accordance with state and federal laws
- Determine compliance metrics and establish a system for tracking them
- Sign off on any marketing and advertising collateral to ensure it is compliance
- Remain up to date on federal and state laws related to the organization and update policies accordingly
- Perform compliance audits to determine whether establish protocols are being followed and where they can be improved
- Maintain up to date written documentation and policies related to the organization’s business activities
- Create compliance resource library for staff members to reference when they have questions
Qualifications for Compliance Officer
- 5+ years prior experience in risk management or compliance roles
- Must have, or be willing to obtain, a compliance certification
- Superior attention to detail in order to identify and correct risky practices
- Must be a strong communicator and capable of expressing oneself clearly both speaking and in writing
- Possess a collaborative personality and be open to suggestions from team members
- Exemplify strong knowledge of industry protocols and best practices
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to accurately interpret complex documents and policies
- Strong time management and organizational skills and able to meet deadlines
- Should have a strong moral code and sense of ethics
Average Annual Salary: £50k + Bonus
Top 10% Annual Salary: £100k + Bonus